For our office in Hamburg we are looking for a
Biomass Trader (m/f)
The Biomass Desk within Vattenfall Energy Trading is looking for a Biomass Trader with a track record of creating value in a commercial physical commodity trading environment to perform commercial tasks in a rapidly growing global merchant biomass portfolio.
The Biomass Trader’s key responsibility is adding value through proactive identification of market opportunities and commercial optimisation of existing asset backed commodity contracts, including storages, so that maximum value creation is ensured while executing the various options available in the portfolio, delivering best-in-class service for Vattenfall’s internal clients and our 3rd party customers and trading counterparties.
Your job as a Biomass Trader (m/f)
- Purchase biomass products for internal Vattenfall demand as well as for existing and new 3rd party customers
- Market biomass products and structures to 3rd parties for spot as well as long-term
- Develop new flows in products such as woodchips and residential wood pellets
- Maintain existing key accounts whilst continuously improving relationships in the biomass markets through regular communication with existing and potential new market participants and service providers
- Create maximum value for Vattenfall and its customers through optimisation of embedded commodity contract flexibility in a continuously changing market environment
- Initiate and maintain relevant sustainability standards certifications and compliance (ENplus, FSC, SBP, BSL, etc.)
- Manage and improve the quality, cost and efficiency of cargo movements and storages
- Work closely with counterparties to coordinate and organize optimal shipment of goods
- Manage the allocation of goods to counterparties and coordinate the incoming stock and loading schedules
- Manage and optimise biomass stock inventories and transport to internal and external customers/receivers
- Monitor freight and logistics costs and constantly making suggestions for increased efficiency and cost savings
Your profile as a Biomass Trader (m/f)
- Master’s degree and 2-5 years of experience or commercial exposure to procuring and trading biomass (or related products, e.g. agricultural- / bulk commodities)
- Experience from working within the energy commodity industry is a plus
- Ability to focus on value creation through utilisation of portfolio flexibility
- Experience and good understanding of physical commodity supply chains; knowledge of contract execution processes is a plus
- Experience working with physical commodities, trading counterparties, certification bodies and ship owners
- Good working knowledge of commodity trading, portfolio- and storage optimisation
- Excellent English communication skills
- Strong analytical skills; high proficiency in Excel is a plus
- Good at collating, analysing and interpreting data, and presenting information clearly and concisely
- Team player, whilst being comfortable working independently and taking ownership of work tasks and processes
- Well-organised and methodical approach to achieving results
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Negotiation skills and eye for details
At Vattenfall, we are convinced that striving for diversity helps building a more profitable, efficient and attractive company. Therefore we seek a harmonious balance of employees in terms of age, religion, gender identity & expression, sexual identity, disability and ethnic background.
What we offer
Working at Vattenfall means more than ‘just’ having an interesting job in a result-orientated culture. Here you will be part of a challenging, complex and international work environment. We offer our employees competitive remuneration, training opportunities and personal development.
Vattenfall is a European energy company with over 20 000 employees. Together we produce heat and electricity from six energy sources; wind, hydro, biomass, nuclear, coal and gas. To continuously and reliably deliver energy to our society we need a variety of energy sources.
Markets is the Business Area where all asset optimisation and trading activities are centralized for the Vattenfall Group. Our activities are multi-site located across Europe with almost 500 professionals working in Sweden, Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark, and Poland. We trade the full range of energy commodities such as electricity, gas, oil, coal, freight, renewable energies and emissions, take responsibility for a diversified sourcing of power, fuels and carbon credits and optimize the running and hedging of Vattenfall’s generation assets. These efforts are the basis for maximum profitability and continuous business growth.
Within Markets the Business Unit (BU) Trading is the energy trading hub of the Vattenfall Group and provides all market access service activities to the group, including the sourcing of physical coal, oil and gas. BU Trading also maximizes the value creation in energy commodity markets by employing a specific proprietary trading mandate.
For more information about the job you are welcome to contact hiring manager Steven Verbeek via phone +31888380046, for information about the recruitment process please contact recruiter Vanessa Koop via phone +4940790227786 or apply directly via the application button.
We look forward to your application!