Do you want to, along with us, build the road that will take us forward towards a fossil-free future?
We are now looking for two experienced Civil Project Engineers to join the Onshore department of our Business Area Wind
Vattenfall is one of Europe’s largest electricity generators and producer of heat and operates in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. Our strategy is to reduce emissions from power generation with a road map to achieving climate neutrality by 2050.
Vattenfall is aiming to build its first subsidy free onshore wind farm in the near future. Understanding the technology which is able to realise this objective will be a key success factor. In this position you will be responsible for the Civil Works elements within dedicated onshore wind projects across all of Vattenfall´s wind power development locations in northern Europe.
The successful candidate will identify key cost-drivers and devise and implement initiatives to maximise LEC (levelized energy cost) reductions, while ensuring safe practice throughout the construction and operational lifetime of the wind farm. Tailoring the standard Employer´s Requirements to a project-specific situation will be vital in realising Vattenfall´s ambition of developing the most optimal and productive wind projects in a subsidy-free future.
You will report directly to the Head of System Design Onshore. Working within the department of System Design, you will also have a strong interaction with the Technology Roadmaps and Cost Engineering team, and interface with internal stakeholders in Market Development, Project Delivery and Procurement.
Building and maintaining a solid network of external specialist consultants to provide support at key stages throughout the development timeline will be vital for the role.
Your main responsibilities as Civil Project Engineer:
• First point of contact for all Civil Works and Balance of Plant (Civil BoP) related tasks in a wind project
• Owner of the civil works-related Employer´s Requirements (ER’s) and responsible for translating the standard ER´S into project-specific ER´s
• Manage the technical aspects of the civil works contract
• Responsible for all civil engineering aspects of wind park design throughout the project development timeline, including; pre-studies, EIA/permitting and tender process
• Optimise LEC with the goal of achieving subsidy-free wind farms
• Prepare site feasibility studies, due diligence assessments and risk evaluations
• Determine the most likely WTG foundation types, access routes and preliminary site road layouts
• Deliver civil works CapEx estimations as input to the project business case
• Liaise with specialist consultants to procure and coordinate a variety of engineering requirements, such as; transportation studies, geotechnical investigations, foundation designs and third-party design reviews
• Prepare contract specifications, technical requirements and tender documentation for the WTG and BoP tenders
• Evaluate bids from suppliers and contractors during both WTG and BoP tender phase and manage the interfaces between these two contracts
• Assess the impact of non-compliance to the Employer´s Requirements
• Contract negotiation with WTG suppliers and BoP contractors
• Site visits to conduct early-phase studies and also during/post construction to carry out inspections
Our successful candidate has a degree in Civil Engineering. GWO certificates and specific WTG platform trainings are desirable.
Competence and Experience
You have a very good command of English (both verbal and written). You have excellent analytical skills and good inter-personal skills. You are structured in your approach to work, with an ability to structure the work of others. You are culturally sensitive and experience in international cooperation. You have a proven track record in civil engineering and project management, with specific competence or experience in:
• Foundation design
• Geotechnical investigations
• Technical design reviews
• Health, safety, environment and quality (HSEQ)
• Cost estimations
• Risk assessments
Desirable/good to have
• Swedish language
• Wind power industry
• Transport and logistics
• Road and drainage design
• Technical employer requirements
• Stakeholder management
• Networking skills, preferably with an existing network of civil engineering contractors
• Translating technology choices into costs
Good remuneration, a challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary teams and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal and professional development.
The location of one of these positions is Stockholm (Solna). The location of the other position is flexible but preferably in Solna, Amsterdam, Hexham or London. Regular business trips are required.
Process and timeline
We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the application button on this page. Last day to apply is June 2nd, 2019.
We kindly request that you do not send applications by any means other than via our website as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to process applications that are not made via our website.
For more information about the position or the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Anneli Jarlsheim (Senior Recruiter) on + 46 72 585 28 76.
Trade union representatives in Sweden: Rolf Ohlsson - Akademikernas, Christer Gustavsson - Ledarna Leif Karlsson - SEKO, samt Anders Bohlin – Unionen
They will all be reached at switchboard: +46 (0) 8-739 50 00.
“Since Vattenfall is part of the Swedish critical infrastructure, many of our positions are security classed. If this position is security classed the final candidates can be subject to a security vetting process, according to the Swedish legislation.”
Energy is our contribution to quality of life – day after day. With around 20,000 colleagues Vattenfall provides comprehensive electricity and heating offerings to several million customers in northern Europe. For the work ahead, we need people who are fully dedicated to our customers and to a sustainable society – people like you.
Business Area Wind is responsible for Vattenfall’s Onshore and Offshore Wind, as well as other non-hydro Renewable activities like solar PV and batteries. Today we develop, construct and operate wind generation in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. In addition, we have a clear strategy to develop our solar PV and battery operations further.
At Vattenfall we are convinced that diversity contributes to build a more profitable and attractive company and we strive to be good role model regarding diversity. Vattenfall works actively for all employees to have the same opportunities and rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, transgender identity or expression, religion or other belief, disability or sexual orientation.
We look forward to your application!