Vattenfall is one of Europe’s largest electricity generators and producer of heat and operates in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. Our strategy is to reduce emissions from power generation with a road map to achieving climate neutrality by 2050.
We are looking for the right person to fill the position as Construction Manager reporting to the Manager of Construction & Commissioning Offshore in Bunsiness Area Wind. A Construction Manager will be the right hand to the department manager and will usually be assigned to a specific project to assume responsibility for the Construction activities on that project.
The Construction Manager is expected to:
- Manage all aspects of the Construction team and associated activities.
- Coordinate and manage the Construction phase to ensure the health and safety of everybody carrying out construction work, or anyone who may be affected by the work.
- Ensure that the Construction phase is properly planned, managed, monitored and adequately resourced.
- Ensure that at all times of the Construction phase, competent site management appropriate to the risk and activity is in place.
- Ensure safe working, coordination and cooperation between project contractors.
- Implement procedures to eliminate injury to project personnel, the general public, and/or damage to property and the environment.
- Review and accept Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS) received from contractors prior to permitting work to commence.
- Possess a comprehensive knowledge of HSE rules pertaining to the project and BA Wind.
- Consistently enforce project HSE rules and regulations.
- Coordinate and cooperate with 3rd parties, including stakeholders, on other projects within BA Wind.
- Work to optimise activities so as to minimise offshore working time and mitigate weather delays.
- Ensure all subcontractors are aware of and compliant with their responsibilities.
- Manage a control system that plans and prioritises construction work.
- Communicate with all Project Package Managers and the Project Director so as to ensure that individual contractors’ technical constraints and commercial drivers are clearly understood and achieved progress is correctly logged.
- Prioritise access to site in case of conflicts arising from the activity forecast.
- Liaison with Marine Coordination to ensure that the daily coordination of offshore activities are conducted satisfactorily.
- Liaise with Work Vessel co-ordinator to ensure that daily coordination is carried out effectively.
- Manage a team of offshore Vattenfall representatives.
- Ensure that the Activity Forecast complies with the Project Plan.
- Manage support contracts.
- Ensure that the directives given for the prioritisation of the offshore construction work do not compromise the safety of the marine work force.
- Conduct various other tasks as required for the daily running of the Construction Support office.
- Oversee and manage HV commissioning activities and Senior Authorised Person (SAP)/Commissioning resources.
- Report on progress and issues to the Project Manager/Project Director.
- Use knowledge, experience and sound judgement to drive all aspects of offshore windfarm construction work.
Experience and Qualifications Background:
- Bachelors/Masters engineering degree, or alternatively a Master Mariner Certificate combined with a minimum of 5 years of offshore construction experience.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, of which at least 4 years need to be in a senior or managerial position.
- Good commercial and legal understanding including LOGIC and FIDIC contract forms.
- Must have a strong understanding of the HSE principles applying to the offshore industry and be committed to always seek to improve the standards.
- Have a good understanding of offshore wind project logistics and relevant offshore technologies such as heavy lift, jack-up vessel, cable laying, surveying, diving, dynamic positioning, etc.
- Have a good understanding of the safe operation of medium and high voltage electrical systems.
- Business level English language ability, written and spoken.
Required Personal Skills:
- A highly committed person with a high degree of flexibility and self-motivation.
- A team player with excellent communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and an innovative mind set.
- Well organised and a structured work approach.
- The ability to manage and coordinate people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to function well in an international team environment and interface with a broad range of co-workers and contractors spread over multiple locations.
- Sound knowledge of the technical aspects needed to manage contractors, and an accountable person who can make appropriate decisions even under challenging circumstances.
- A genuine interest in renewable energy and environmental issues.
The location of this position is flexible, preferably in Amsterdam, London, Hamburg or Kolding. Regular business trips are required.
Good remuneration, a challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary teams and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal and professional development.
Energy is our contribution to quality of life – day after day. With around 20,000 colleagues Vattenfall provides comprehensive electricity and heating offerings to several million customers in northern Europe. For the work ahead we need people who are fully dedicated to our customers and to a sustainable society – people like you.
Business Area Wind is responsible for Vattenfall’s Onshore and Offshore Wind as well as other non-hydro Renewable activities like solar PV and batteries. Today we develop, construct and operate wind generation in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. In addition, we have a clear strategy to develop our solar PV and battery operations further.
For more information about the position you are welcome to contact Hiring Manager Girshen Padayachee on +4915254626639. For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Vanessa Koop, Recruitment, phone +49 40 79022 7786.
We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the application button at this page. Please send in your application as soon as possible and do not wait until the last day. Applications will be handled continuously throughout the application period. Last day to apply is 26th of February.
At Vattenfall we are convinced that diversity contributes to build a more profitable and attractive company and we strive to be good role model regarding diversity. Vattenfall works actively for all employees to have the same opportunities and rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, transgender identity or expression, religion or other belief, disability or sexual orientation.
We look forward to your application!