Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position of Cost Engineer (f/m/d) in the department Engineering within Business Area Heat, Operation Unit Heat Projects for projects in Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden and the UK.
OU Heat Projects enables climate smarter living by developing and realizing projects that create the most optimal asset based solutions for BA Heat and Vattenfall. With best engineering practices and the integration of advanced conversion technologies OU Heat Projects contributes to the final goal of becoming fossil free in one generation. The required high complex projects (e.g. (novel) new build, extension or non-standard modification projects) are developed and realized in three project portfolio teams.
The project portfolio teams are supported by two staff departments, Engineering and Project Excellence. The department Engineering comprises of an international team with highly qualified professionals within OU Heat Projects and is responsible for the complete engineering process. This ranges from developing and comparison of technical concepts in the earliest phase of the project, via the technical specification of a plant in the invitation to tender, technical bid evaluation and negotiation and finally managing the technical performance of the contractor(s) up to and including commissioning and start-up. The department also delivers support to projects for scheduling, cost estimating and QA/QC management.
What are the responsibilities of the Cost Engineer (f/m/d)?
The Cost Engineer will primarily be responsible for definition, implementation and execution of an effective and consistent cost estimating process. Actual cost estimating in projects might be done by others, but always according the defined cost estimating process and with guidance of the Cost Engineer. More specifically the responsibilities will consist of:
- Develop or support the development of base cost estimates for projects.
- Provide standards, guide and review cost estimates prepared by others on realism, consistency, errors or omissions and alignment with project scope, base of estimate and risks.
- Maintain a network of external consultancy companies that may be involved in cost estimating activities for our projects. Establish clear expectations and requirements with them concerning cost estimates.
- Facilitate the risk based contingency assessment process.
- Setup and maintain an internal experience databases with developed and executed projects for benchmarking and validation purposes.
- Share knowledge of cost estimating with team members and internal stakeholders through training, promotion of best practices and provide ongoing expert support.
Besides the cost engineering expertise you also have relevant experience in another engineering discipline (engineering management, process, civil, mechanical, electrical or I&C).
You will report to the Manager Development Engineering.
What are we looking for?
Our successful candidate has a relevant University degree, with a minimum of 3-5 years relevant work experience in the field of Engineering, Procurement and Construction of energy plants and respective Cost Engineering in particular. You have a very good command of English, command of German or Dutch is a plus. Your personal characteristics and competences:
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Structured worker with ability to structure work of others.
- Self-propelling and a good team player
- Experience in international cooperation, culturally sensitive.
- You enjoy working on international, multidisciplinary projects and are willing to travel.
At Vattenfall, we are convinced that striving for diversity helps building a more profitable efficient and attractive company. Therefore we seek a harmonious balance of employees in terms of gender, age, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Location: Amsterdam or Berlin
For more information about the position you are welcome to contact Gunnar Assmann, +49 162 4320157.
For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Lena Vormbrock, +49 40/790222308. We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the link further down the page.
We look forward to receiving your application!