Do you want to be part of building a new European business venture?
Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position as Energy Modeller, Vattenfall Heat UK within the new Business Unit Energy Solutions. The Business Unit is currently present in Germany, Sweden and the UK and will next expand into the Netherlands and offers decentralised, low carbon energy solutions for B2C and B2B customers. The UK business is growing successfully in the rapidly developing district and decentralised heat market in the UK. You will become a member of the fast growing Engineering Team and will play a key role for developing and delivering the technical solution for low carbon heating and cooling networks. In our solutions, heat networks and power networks are integrated and digitalized, generation technology is low and zero carbon, and customers are provided with a high level of service, underpinned by Vattenfall’s long experience in operating decentralized networks across Europe, where we serve 2.2 million heat customers.
In the UK there is an exciting opportunity to establish our project delivery processes for low carbon heat solutions from the start. Beginning with large (10,000 unit) heat networks and in the future moving on to smaller (50 unit) heat pump installations for care homes and communal residential buildings, you will set up the project processes from scratch – spanning preferred bidder through to asset handover and asset management.
Working closely with the Project Development Engineer, you will set up processes for working with multiple parties and stakeholders on complex, multi-phase projects and delivering on time, on budget and to quality standards. You will have an exceptional understanding of the good engineering design and delivery principles for final customer system, distribution network and energy centre. To be successful in this role you will have and experience in delivering detail design and understanding of commissioning process. This role will offer fast technical learning opportunities and career growth within the engineering team.
What are the responsibilities of the Energy Modeller?
The Energy Modeller role is within Engineering team and will be responsible for developing energy balance models for large district heating and cooling projects that will drive the plant selection. In order to achieve accurate models, you will have a good mechanical engineering background, specifically thermodynamics and hydraulics, and will be able to analyse different system design choices and their implication on plant and system performance.
Your role will also require detailed calculations and analysis to be carried out of system technical performance, including thermodynamic performance calculations and hydraulic performance calculations that subsequently will form the basis of energy model assumptions.
Your duties will include the analysis of heat meter data of existing heat networks and will crunch this data to derive consumption profiles for different type of buildings.
With the shift towards implementation of environmental heat sources (rivers, ground, canals, sewage water) as well as waste heat sources (energy from waste, datacentre heat, industrial waste heat, heat recovery from cooling), more complex scenarios will be developed.
The Energy Modeller will carry out a sensitivity analysis on the different models as to derive the most future-proofed solution. A feasibility report is expected which summarises the modelling inputs, method and results. The Energy Modeller is expected to keep a clear track of the models with an assumption book and method description.
In addition to energy modelling, you will support your peers with any engineering work – CAD drawings, technical calculations and technical documents.
- Be a sparring partner for the solutions and the engineering team
- Ensure energy model is delivered in line with the carbon and business objectives
- Base all the assumptions on technical calculations and data
- Provide engineering support to your peers including CAD drawings and calculations
- Ensure engineering solution is aligned with Vattenfall’s vision on future energy solutions
- Assuring high safety, technical integrity and quality, including required authority approvals
- Ensuring quality assurance and quality control such that the energy models are representing the best possible prediction into the future and are in line with governance.
Your profile as Energy Modeller
Our successful candidate has a relevant University degree in chemical, mechanical, energy or process engineering, with a strong focus on the energy industry. Your personal characteristics and competences:
To be successful you should have a selection of the following experience:
- Mechanical Engineering degree qualified
- A good understanding of thermodynamics and being fluent with energy and mass balance calculations
- Design experience in hydraulic and thermodynamic systems
- Safety conscious and understanding of design for safe installation, operation, maintenance and customer experience
- Detailed understanding of district heating performance and operation risks as well as customer compliance
- Understanding of different heat sources and generation plant
- Software skills preferred: AutoCAD, EnergyPRO and Excel (intermediate to advanced)
- A brief knowledge of Building Regulations, Applicable British Standards, Good Practice guidelines and Other national standards, regulations and guidelines
To enjoy the work with us we believe you need to be:
- A high performing individual with a drive to successfully accomplish what is set to be done
- Energetic and dynamic but yet a team player that helps everyone else to be better at what they do
- Simple understanding of the energy industry is an advantage but not a requirement
- Entrepreneurial and creative in approaching and solving problems – comfortable setting up new processes from scratch and not waiting to be told how.
- Clear and effective communicator in all forms
- Passionate about the energy industry and innovation to deliver low carbon energy
- SHE aware and ensure H&S is prioritised in everything you do
- Very good organisational skills and being able to proactively manage multiple workstreams and an understanding of how different engineering issues/choices will impact other elements of the project – commercial, customer service, operations
- Understanding of necessity for proper quality assurance and ensure all project documentation is reviewed, filed and engineering handover package is sufficient for Asset and maintenance quality
The location of this position is central London with good transport links.
A challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of
the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary joint venture team and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer flexibility, respect for work life balance and
the opportunity for working in a small, dedicated team with a true international outlook. As this position is open for junior level, we offer in-house and external training to complete yourself in the above responsibilities.
At Vattenfall, we are convinced that striving for diversity & inclusion helps building a more attractive, efficient, customer centric and profitable company. Therefore we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, religious belief, gender identity & expression, sexual identity, disability and ethnic background.
For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Marlies van Heymbeeck, Recruitment, phone +31615604138 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the application button at this page. Last day to apply is March, 22th.
We kindly request that you do not send applications by any means other than via our website as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to process applications that are not made via our website.
Energy is our contribution to quality of life – day after day. With around 20,000 colleagues Vattenfall provides comprehensive electricity and heating offerings to several million customers in northern Europe. For the work ahead we need people who are fully dedicated to our customers and to a sustainable society – people like you!
At Vattenfall, we believe, that the only way to make fossil free living within a generation possible is to power and help manage all energy-aspects of our customers’ lives to create climate smarter living - building by building, district by district, city by city.
We look forward to your application!