Do you want to be part of building a new European business venture?
Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position as Engineering Manager, Vattenfall Heat UK within the new Business Unit Energy Solutions. The Business Unit is currently present in Germany, Sweden and the UK and will next expand into the Netherlands and offers decentralised, low carbon energy solutions for B2C and B2B customers. The UK business is growing successfully in the rapidly developing district and decentralised heat market in the UK. You will become a member of the fast growing Engineering Team and will play a key role for developing and delivering the technical solution for low carbon heating and cooling networks. In our solutions, heat networks and power networks are integrated and digitalized, generation technology is low and zero carbon, and customers are provided with a high level of service, underpinned by Vattenfall’s long experience in operating decentralized networks across Europe, where we serve 2.2 million heat customers.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop and deliver engineering solution for large scale district heating and cooling developments (40MW). You will have an exceptional understanding of the good engineering design principles, however in addition will have awareness around commercial issues and have a very good stakeholder management skills. To be successful in this role you will have and experience in delivering design through different project stages.
What are the responsibilities of the Engineering Manager?
The Engineering Manager will be responsible for the delivery of technical solution for a large district heating network including HIUs, secondary (in-building) network, heat sub-stations, primary (underground pipe work system) and the energy centre. Engineering manager will lead the design process and be responsible for managing external design suppliers, managing design budget and programme and be responsible for all technical decisions made on the project. As a part of this role you will also support project delivery team and asset and operation team with any technical matters once required. Working closely with the project team you will be responsible for successful project delivery.
While elements of the design may be carried out by external suppliers, the Engineering Manager will be responsible for the technical solution and engineering execution strategy including design review and approval, involvement in commercial assessment, inputs to commissioning and performance strategy, involvement in procurement and supply chain selection and specification as well es performance review.
- Be a sparring partner for the project manager and the rest of the project team ensuring the project is delivered on time;
- Own and deliver engineering execution strategy including design execution, design validation, design procurement and budgeting, project stakeholder management, project delivery team support, asset and operation team support and commercial assessment support
- Ensure engineering solution and design is delivered in line with the performance and business objectives
- Manage internal and external stakeholders, client and client’s technical advisors, internal and external engineering support
- Ensure engineering solution is taken through the governance process
- Ensure engineering solution achieves carbon performance and financial performance targets;
- Assuring high safety, regulatory compliance, technical integrity and quality, including required authority approvals;
- Provide technical solution for the sign off with the Technical Authority
Your profile as Engineering Manager
Our successful candidate has a relevant University degree in chemical, mechanical, energy or process engineering, with a minimum of 5-10 years relevant work experience in the field of Engineering, Procurement and Construction.
To be successful you should have the following experience:
- Mechanical Engineering degree qualified and minimum of 5 years’ experience in Mechanical or Process Engineering
- Design management experience of district heating and cooling systems up to RIBA stage 4 including Energy Centres, secondary network and HIUs
- Good knowledge of typical risks in heat networks and good knowledge of best practice engineering principles that enable high network performance standards
- Safety conscious and understanding of design for safe installation, operation, maintenance and customer experience
- Evident experience being involved in commissioning and handover review of projects
- Detailed understanding of district heating performance and operation risks as well as customer compliance
- Experience in managing supply chain, internal or external design teams
- Good stakeholder management skills and commercial awareness
- Good understanding of available supply chain in district heating industry including boilers, CHP, Heat Pumps, pumps, heat interface units, underground pipework
- Software skills preferred: AutoCAD, EnergyPRO
- Good knowledge of Building Regulations, Applicable British Standards, Good practice guidelines and Other national standards, regulations and guidelines
To enjoy the work with us we believe you need to be:
- A high performing individual with a drive to successfully accomplish what is set to be done
- Energetic and dynamic but yet a team player that helps everyone else to be better at what they do
- Simple understanding of the energy industry an advantage but not a requirement
- Really good stakeholder management skills
- Entrepreneurial and creative in approaching and solving problems – comfortable setting up new processes from scratch and not waiting to be told how.
- Clear and effective communicator in all forms
- Passionate about the energy industry and innovation to deliver low carbon energy
- Health, Safety and environment aware
- Very good organisational skills and being able to proactively manage multiple engineering teams, workload and understanding of how different engineering issues/choices will impact other elements of the project – commercial, customer service, operations
- Understanding of necessity for proper quality assurance and ensure all project documentation is reviewed, filed and engineering handover package is sufficient for Asset and maintenance quality
The location of this position is London.
A challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of
the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary Joint venture team and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer flexibility, respect for work life balance and the opportunity for working in a small, dedicated team with a true international outlook.
At Vattenfall, we are convinced that striving for diversity & inclusion helps building a more attractive, efficient, customer centric and profitable company. Therefor we welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, religious belief, gender identity & expression, sexual identity, disability and ethnic background.
For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Marlies van Heymbeeck, Recruitment, phone +31615604138 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the application button at this page. Last day to apply is May, 21th.
We kindly request that you do not send applications by any means other than via our website as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to process applications that are not made via our website.
Energy is our contribution to quality of life – day after day. With around 20,000 colleagues Vattenfall provides comprehensive electricity and heating offerings to several million customers in northern Europe. For the work ahead we need people who are fully dedicated to our customers and to a sustainable society – people like you!
At Vattenfall, we believe, that the only way to make fossil free living within a generation possible is to power and help manage all energy-aspects of our customers’ lives to create climate smarter living - building by building, district by district, city by city.
We look forward to your application!