Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position of Manager Process Engineering in the department Engineering within OU Heat Projects for projects in Germany, The Netherlands and Sweden and possibly other West European countries.
OU Heat Projects within BA Heat enables the target of Vattenfall to become fossil free within one generation by developing and realizing projects that create the most optimal asset based solutions for Vattenfall. These high complex projects (e.g. (novel) new build, extension or non-standard modification projects) are developed and realized in three project portfolio teams. The project portfolio teams are supported by two staff departments, Engineering and Project Excellence. The department Engineering comprises of an international team with highly qualified professionals within OU Heat Projects and is responsible for the complete engineering process. This ranges from developing and comparison of technical concepts in the earliest phase of the project, via the technical specification of a plant in the invitation to tender, technical bid evaluation and negotiation and finally managing the technical performance of the contractor(s) up to and including commissioning and start-up. The Engineering department also delivers support to projects for scheduling, cost estimating and QA/QC management.
Projects within the portfolios are managed by a project manager, who reports to the portfolio manager. Within a project team an engineering manager is steering an engineering team working on the technical development and later on realization of the project. Depending on the phase of the project this engineering manager is technically steered by the Manager Development Engineering or the Manager Execution Engineering. The project engineering team is staffed by either internal or external engineers for several disciplines. The sub department Process Engineering supports the project engineering teams with process engineers and technological knowledge.
In the early phase of the development of a project, Process Engineering will assist with conceptual engineering in listing and assessing the technological options, performing basic process engineering and finally after extensive evaluation in selecting the final technical concept and have this defined in a Basic Design Package. During the execution phase Process Engineering will assist in preparing the invitation to tender, technical contract negotiations, reviews of contractor engineering documents and support commissioning and hand over. Process Engineering plays a key role in HSE with driving formal reviews like HAZID, HAZOP, SIL. In order to be able to assist in the early project development, Process Engineering is monitoring all relevant technology developments and is expanding and maintaining a technology catalog.
What are the responsibilities of the Manager Process Engineering?
As Manager Process Engineering you will lead the process engineering department and you are responsible for supporting the project engineering teams with resources and technological expertise. You will be responsible for the quality of the process engineering work either performed by internal or external resources.
The technological expertise will primarily be brought to the projects by the process engineers from your team, but also your input and assessment on the process design is expected. This ranges from considering new technologies (based on natural gas and hydrogen, power to heat, heat pumps etc.) in the early phase of project development to troubleshooting process issues during commissioning.
Together with your team you further develop, substantiate and maintain the catalog of relevant technologies for power and heat generation and storage on both a decentral and central level. For this you stimulate the process engineers to come up with initiatives and you maintain an active network with relevant companies and academia.
As Manager Process Engineering, you will manage an international team consisting of about 12 internal process engineers and guide several external engineers by:
- Using soft skills to develop and assist the internal process engineers.
- Ensure a proper guiding of the external process engineers on content.
- Have regular bilaterals with the discipline engineers.
- Be a sparring partner for and assist the Managers Development and Executing Engineering.
- Be firm on quality of and proper authorization of deliverables.
- Have a sharp eye for Vattenfall business interests.
- Stimulate new ideas and concepts.
You will be member of the Management Team of the engineering department and report to the Head of Engineering.
Who are we looking for?
Our successful candidate has a relevant University (MSc) degree in energy or process engineering, with a minimum of 10 years relevant work experience in the field of Engineering, Procurement and Construction Projects as Process Engineer. Experience as Engineering Manager is a plus. You also have extensive experience in managing technical professionals in a matrix organization. You have a very good command of English and German. Command of Swedish or Dutch is a plus.
Your personal characteristics and competences:
- MSc degree in energy or process engineering.
- Good interpersonal and management skills.
- Proven experience in situational and inspiring leadership
- Outstanding communication skills, verbally and in writing.
- Structured worker with ability to structure work of others and realise results through others.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Self-propelling and a good team player
- Experience in international cooperation, culturally sensitive.
- Knowledge of the Vattenfall project framework is a benefit.
- Thorough knowledge of the Engineering Processes
- Proven successful experience in troubleshooting.
- High focus on safety and safety in design.
- Experience with relevant simulation tools like Ebsilon, ThermoFlow or equivalent.
- Experience with introducing new technologies on industrial scale in power and heat generation.
- You enjoy working in an international, multidisciplinary projects environment and have no problem with frequent travelling.
An external assessment will be part of the selection procedure.
At Vattenfall, we are convinced that striving for diversity helps building a more profitable efficient and attractive company. Therefore we seek a harmonious balance of employees in terms of gender, age, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
For more information about the position you are welcome to contact Geert Laagland, +31 6 1585 3256. For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Iris Eveleens +31 6 5330697. We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the link further down the page.
We look forward to receiving your application!