For our Vattenfall Business Area Markets we are now looking for a
Working Student in our Transaction and Position Management Team
for our office in Hamburg.
Within BA Markets, the Transaction and Position Management (TPM) team is responsible for the management of the Sales Positions for Dutch and UK Power and for Dutch, German, Belgian and French Gas; and the processing of hedging data. The team acts as the interface between Trading and Sales, delivering prices to Sales, receiving contract information from Sales and calculating the financial settlement between Trading and Sales based on the stored contract data and the received usage data. TPM has a central place in the value chain and therefore has contact with many departments within the Vattenfall Group – the different Sales Units, Trading Desks, Pricing Teams, Risk Analysis and Reporting, Finance Groups and IT. The team operates in a dynamic environment and flexibility and personal initiatives are expected from all team members.
The team is located in Amsterdam and Hamburg.
Work area of the Team
The work of the team is divided into the PPI Team (Product, Process & Implementation), who take care of the majority of the operational tasks and the day-to-day result in production environment, and the SI team (Stability & Improvements), who take care of the process improvements and new developments. The student will work in the PPI team.
In general, the team works to ensure the stability of information flows throughout the value chain, where:
- on a daily basis price information is delivered to Sales. All mutations in the contract database are translated, verified and aggregated from the information provided by Sales. The output is a long term forecast of requirements that will be sourced on the wholesale market by the Trading function.
- on a daily basis incoming allocation data is retrieved and validated. In case of incompleteness or inconsistencies this is investigated together with the IT department and the grid companies.
- on a monthly basis the team calculates the financial settlement between Sales and Trading, combining the usage data of the customer base with the stored contract and price data.
- on a regular basis the team performs analysis on the Sales Position to ensure that maximum value can be captured from our customer positions. This includes comparing the long term forecast with the usage data and preparing plans to reduce the difference. Other examples are profile development, imbalance analysis, etc.
The analyst will become part of the group within TPM that is responsible for our production environment. This includes, but is not limited to, managing our portfolio position, ensuring the stability of our production processes, fixings ad hoc issues as soon as possible, aligning with Sales on exceptional cases, and spotting improvements on the systems and discussing them with the development team.
What you will do
- Participates in the operational shift during business hours.
- Runs operational processes according to the working instructions and guidelines in a timely and accurate manner.
- Actively monitors issues, understands the impact of issues and works independently on analysing and solving issues. Escalating to the senior analyst when necessary.
- Manages the complete portfolio in the TPM system, including follow-up on inconsistencies with our stakeholders.
- Delivers structural and ad-hoc customized reports. Follows up on information requests from the various stakeholders.
- Monitors and recognizes operational risk and takes suitable action where necessary.
- Constantly strives for improving processes to enable stable and efficient operations.
- Actively seek for and initiate improvement opportunities.
What we are looking for
- Student in Master program, preferably in a quantitative or technical field.
- Fluent in English, spoken and written. Proficiency in Dutch or German is a benefit.
- Knowledge of the (international) energy market is a benefit.
- Knowledge of energy sourcing and pricing is a benefit.
- Experience in working with development teams is a benefit.
- Experience in an international environment is a benefit.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to understand processes, to analyse issues by gathering information and to make connections and draw conclusions.
- Structured approach and accurate way of working with a close attention for detail, even in a busy and dynamic environment.
- Ability to work independently and to plan and prioritise own work, taking initiative when required.
- Confident in handling large data sets and experienced in data processing and/or (ad-hoc) data analysis.
- Strong communicator in an international environment.
- Ability to work together with others and share knowledge.
- Teamplayer with a positive and enthusiastic attitude to work, with a willingness to overcome challenges and getting things done by finding creative solutions.
- Pro-active attitude; shows initiatives to continuously improve processes, systems, (own) work etc.
- A strong sense of responsibility for your work and its accuracy and efficiency.
- Stress-resistant and being able to cope with multiple requests/issues at the same time.
We are striving for diversity & inclusion and we therefore welcome applications from all individuals regardless of e.g. age, gender, disability and ethnic background.
Vattenfall is one of Europe’s largest generators of electricity and the largest producer of heat. The Vattenfall Group has about 20,000 employees. Vattenfall’s core markets are Sweden, Germany and the Netherlands. The Group also conducts business in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Poland and the UK. The Parent Company, Vattenfall AB, is fully owned by the Swedish state.
Working at Vattenfall means more than 'just' having an interesting job in a result-oriented culture. Here you will be part of a challenging, complex and international work environment. We offer our employees competitive remuneration, training opportunities and personal development.
- Start date: May 1st, 2019, later start date possible
- Working time: 16 – 24 hours per week during the semester, up to 37 hours per week (full-time) in vacation time
- Minimum duration: 3 months
- Compensation: 12 Euro per hour
- Supervision of final thesis after the work-study possible by Arrangement
Your application should contain a covering letter, CV, current grade reports and your certificate of enrollment.
For more information about the job and the department you are welcome to contact Mr Dave Janse via phone +31 6158 77603.
For information about the recruitment process, please contact Mr Wassilios Sintoris via phone +49 4079022 2142.
We look forward to your application!